A couple weeks ago my husband enjoyed a date night movie at home with some yummy Chinese take out. As we were eating, I was thinking to myself, this was something we could make at home ourselves…so let’s try it.
Now I, of course, decided to start with my two favorites. Shrimp fried rice and spring rolls!
I’ve tried out two recipes that my husband and I both feel have incredible flavor!
Veggie Spring Rolls
Spring roll sheets **
Sesame oil – 2 tsp.
Garlic – 1 Tbsp. minced
Ginger – 1 Tbsp. (Finely Chopped)
Spring onion – 4 (Finely Chopped with White, Green parts separated)
Carrot – 1 large (Julienned)
Red bell pepper – 1/2 (Julienned)
Cabbage – 2 Cups (Julienned)
Sugar – 1 tsp.
Soy sauce – 2 tsp.
Ground black pepper – 2 tsp. (adjust as per your taste preference)
Salt – 3/4 tsp.
Oil – For frying
All purpose flour – 1 Tbsp.
- Chop the veggies and put them aside. Heat a large pan or wok with sesame oil. Add the ginger, garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Then add the white part of the spring onion and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Now add all the veggies (carrot, cabbage, bell pepper, bean sprouts), sugar and sauté for a minute. Follow it by soy sauce, fresh ground black pepper and salt and sauté for 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes dry. Once done, add the green part of the spring onion, give a quick mix and turn off the flame.
- Transfer the filling to a baking sheet or large tray and let the filling cool down completely.
- When completely cooled you can start assembling your rolls. I just followed the directions on the packaging.
- Heat a pan with oil and once the oil is hot, cook them on high heat until golden brown!
**My only aside on the spring rolls is that I made the mistake of using egg roll wraps, these are thicker – I should have taken the time to find the spring roll sheets.
Next onto the main entrée – Shrimp fried rice. This has been a favorite of mine since I was a young girl. With this recipe you can add any protein you choose or just enjoy the fried rice by itself. We will do this last, because it takes NO TIME to prepare. Love it!!
Shrimp Fried Rice
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
3 tbsp. Butter, divided
2 eggs, whisked
1 package frozen peas and carrots
1 small white onion, diced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups cooked rice (I used Calrose white rice)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3-4 tbsp. Soy sauce, or more to taste
1/2 tsp. Toasted sesame oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic
Seasoning to taste
Toasted Sesame Seeds to taste
Shrimp (I used pre-cooked frozen salad shrimp)
- Using ½ tablespoon of butter Scramble eggs and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan (I used my electric fry pan – worked perfectly) and heat until melted.
- Add peas, carrots, onion, and garlic, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onion and carrots are soft.
- Increase heat to high, add in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, and stir until melted.
- Immediately add the rice, green onions, and soy sauce. Season with Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic and Toasted Sesame Seeds – stir until combined.
- Add in the frozen shrimp, as little or as much as you would like.
- Continue stirring for an additional 3 minutes to fry the rice. Next add in the eggs, constantly stirring.
- Add the sesame oil, stir to combine, and remove from heat.
Serve warm and enjoy! +